Monday, July 21, 2014

Not really a foodie, promise, but a review pt1

I eat too plainly to be one of those guys.

But a review anyway of a new local ... eatery?


No, not the flight centre. Sugar Ray's (bus not included) is a new place open next to Sutherland station - I passed on the way to get lunch and decided to stop there instead. I think it only opened yesterday - everything is so new I expected to see the wrapping on the furniture. The food looked good - sorry for the bad photos -


 And the place was very, very clean which puts it well above a lot of other sandwich places - though I guess most placed start this way. I mean, who imports grime? I hope as enthusiasm dies down and the new business becomes a weekday grind that things stay at this level - often they slip bit by bit and then suddenly you are wondering why the chicken tastes like tuna on the way back up.

Moving on, there were a ton of staff - seems a family enterprise with at least 2 generations if not more there. Very friendly people.

I ordered the ham and cheese crossiant - a basic staple that may indicate the quality of other offerings, especially as it isn't a specialty store. It came back oven toasted, not pressed which was nice, and warm through without being burnt. 

The crossiant was soft inside and crispy outside without being oily or sugary- a must for a good experience, while the ham and cheese were standard but tasty and didn't feel like they came from yesterday or the discount bin in the fridge isle at Aldi.

All in all a good start. Tomorrow I might try the chicken salad (another staple) and the coffee- both looked and smelt good so hopefully it works out.

So far my part one review gives it : worth a second try, 3.5/5 for the food, 4.5/5 for value (did I mention it was only $4? I can't even get a coffee for that). 


No comments:

Post a Comment